Friday, September 09, 2005

Katrina Tale, Vol 2

Since I'm in the New Orleans area hanging out and maintaining our backup network, if you don't mind, I'll send out these occasional missives on what's going on.

I feel so behind the times because being in the middle of the hurricane aftermath, I was unable to tune in much television or radio. Most of us down here in the middle of this area aren't watching much news because it's happening all around us. I tune in every once in awhile, but as I've said before, half of what the media is reporting is not true, half of it is not as bad as they say, and half of it is much worse than they say.

The other day we finally got the Humane Society's web site up. I'm hopeful that there will be more active efforts to help all the stranded animals throughout the city. Now almost all our clients are back in operation. Many other local sites are still dark. I know of at least a half-dozen major ISPs who just dropped off the planet and we've been working hard to help friends and associates. Today I heard from Acme Oyster House and we helped them migrate to a new mail server they set up. A few other clients have asked that I put up "closed" signs on their web sites since they are unable to process orders. Many others haven't said anything -- but our systems are still online taking orders for products from everybody from French Market Coffee to Cafe DuMonde, Tropical Isle, Ruth's Chris, Melinda's, Cajunland Seasonings, and more. Since I have no idea to what degree many of my clients' businesses have been affected, I have no idea whether my own company will be able to survive since the majority of our clients were in the disaster area. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Today, Metairie is looking up. They opened the Lowes on Veterans Blvd and it is loaded with generators and gas cans and all the supplies people need. They're not letting people wander though -- you approach the front and they assign an employee to take you where you need to get what you want. Another gas station opened on W. Metairie and Clearview - this one is "cash only", which is a pain in the ass... As I went in to pay, someone else pulled in front of me at the pump and there was confusion over who was pumping gas that who paid for. This is one of those Discount Zones that are run by some middle eastern conglomerate (IMO -- they bought up a bunch of the now defunct Time Savers awhile ago). Why they're doing "cash only".... well, that's kind of suspicious if you ask me.

Today it's hot. I can run A/C in my back building, and I'm doing so for the sake of the remaining wine that isn't ruined, but I can't afford to get used to a cooler temperature now that I've acclimated more. A little fan is enough to be comfortable around here. The thermometer on my wall says 88 degrees in the living room. Could be worse. Dax, being the true "inside dog" that she is, would rather stay in the house, than the cooler back yard. Then again, after being left in Baton Rouge for a week and sleeping in four different peoples' houses, she's probably afraid to leave her home.

There are lots of dogs loose in the neighborhood I've noticed. I rode around on my bicycle today and these two dogs tried their best to intimidate and chase me. When they ran at me barking and growling, I just stopped the bike and stared at them. I think that messed up their whole, "let's run this guy off our turf" plan. The bigger dog stopped and stared at me like, "Hey, when are you going to start riding off so I can act tough again?"

More random thoughts:

The scene here at night is so weird. I keep hearing phones ring, but there aren't any phones ringing. Sometimes you think you're deaf because you see lots of police cars with lights flashing and no siren and it's very quiet.

My satellite tv is working. That's just amazing. Even through the hurricane, my dinky little dish just hung in there. I feel sorry for people still using cable. I ran into a guy who worked for Cox and he says they were ordered out of the Parish and are not planning on working on restoring cable any time soon. It makes sense since they need the poles to be up, so people with cable tv are going to have the longest wait for restored television. Reason # 87,323 why you should switch to DirecTV. And for those of you who couldn't have satellite because you had too many trees, that problem may now be solved.

A friend's house burned down today. They suspect arson, and the ex-wife of the guy. I saw the fire trucks rolling and the thick black smoke. Then I got a call from my friend who told me that was a guy we both knew whose house was completely totalled. An ex-JP cop who sold me my AK-47.

More web sites online tonite: BSAlert.com, LAWineClub.com. I noticed that neworleans.com's web site has been wiped and they have a new server up with a little information. I suggested Kim contact Tom Fitzmorris and Tim McNally and see if they want to move their forums over to our system. This would be a great coup for us, to get the number one wine and food critic forums hosted on our servers. (http://forum.lawineclub.com/) Susan Mays has graciously agreed to help moderator a new Hurricane Katrina messageboard we put online where we're going to compile information helpful for residents and evacuees. She's been kicking ass researching all the agencies and what to do. I suggested she put that info online so that others can benefit. So check the forums and contribute.

Oh, I found the transcript of Charmaine Neville's harrowing experience online, complete with video... not for the faint-hearted but well worth watching:

Chamaine Neville's Tale
http://www.wafb.com/Global/SearchResults.asp?qu=charmaine+neville&x=14&y=13
Transcript:
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2005/9/7/182431/8610

Ok, back to work... I hope everyone is well..

1 Comments:

Blogger hilda said...

long!!!!!!!!!!

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home